Can French Bulldogs Eat Grapes? We Have The Answer

Giving your Frenchie fruit treats is ok since they are full of minerals and vitamins. But all dogs, including Frenchies, should NOT eat grapes. Grapes are highly toxic and can lead to kidney failure and death.

Can French Bulldogs Eat Grapes?

French Bulldogs Eat Grapes

French bulldogs should not eat grapes since it leads to poisoning, kidney failure and death. The exact grape toxin is unknown, but it is also present in raisins too. The more grapes your dog consumes, the more disastrous the consequence.

Why French Bulldogs Can’t Eat Grapes

Grapes are toxic to dogs, and several experts suggest that mycotoxin, sodium salicylate or tartaric acid present in grapes, is toxic to dogs. None of the suggested toxins can be broken down by dogs, even though the suggestions are yet to be confirmed.

The Effect Grapes Have On French Bulldogs

Once a dog has ingested grapes, they display signs of kidney failure that should be immediately addressed. They look weary, may shiver, become dehydrated, and have abdominal pains. Should you notice any of the signs, call your vet. Failure to do so may cost your dog’s life.

Everything About The Grape Poisoning Itself

French Bulldogs Eat Grapes

Grape poisoning is fatal even if your dog ate only one grape. It leads to oliguric or anuric renal failure within 72 hours. Fortunately, induced vomiting blocks the absorption of the toxins; however, it is best to take your dog to the vet. Do so immediately and let your vet know the number of grapes consumed.

Symptoms of Grape Poisoning In French Bulldogs

French bulldogs, and all dogs, have bloated stomachs, vomit or diarrhea and are generally weak after eating grapes. Additionally, they may display other signs of kidney failure, like depression, reduced appetite, and bad breath. These symptoms are evident during the first twelve hours and mostly depend on the quantity consumed.

What To Do If Your French Bulldog Is Poisoned

Do not panic if your Frenchie is poisoned. Rather, immediately induce vomiting using charcoal. Next, take your Frenchie to the vet, or dial the ASPCA animal poison control or pet poison hotline. They will provide you with further directions. The steps should be taken immediately since the poisoning worsens with every passing minute.

French Bulldogs Eat Grapes

Poisons and Toxins in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs

Toxicosis, aka poisoning, in Frenchies, bulldogs and other dogs is similar. Grapes, raisins, and Zante currants are the usual culprits behind dog toxicosis and the more they are consumed, the worse the complications. Toxicosis results in anuric renal failure and damage kidney cells which can be irreversible. Thus, vets may administer medicines that maintain renal blood flow and control blood pressure.

The mechanism behind the grape’s toxicity to French bulldogs

The exact grape toxin is unknown, but there are suspicions. Some scientists believe that mycotoxin, sodium salicylate or tartaric acid are the toxins. Regardless, you should keep your Frenchie far from grapes, raisins, and Zante currants.

Safe Alternatives to Grapes

Fruits such as apples, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, watermelon and cranberries are safe alternatives to grapes. Such fruits are full of nutritional vitamins and minerals. But, they should be given as snacks or during positive reinforcement training. Do not forget to feed them regular dog food.


French Bulldogs Eat Grapes

French bulldogs and all dogs should not eat grapes, even dried ones. It is highly toxic and leads to kidney failure and death. If your pup has eaten grapes, immediately take them to the vet, where they will get the help they need. The symptoms usually appear after 6 hours but do not wait for them. Time just might be the difference between life and death for your pup.


How Do I Know If My French Bulldog Ate Grapes?

Usually, your Frenchie will vomit or have diarrhea within a few hours of eating grapes. You may also see grape bits in their feces.

Can a single grape kill a French Bulldog?

Yes, it can. Without medical care, your dog may develop kidney problems that result in death.

Can Dogs Have Grapes or Raisins in Any Amount?

No. Unless you want to kill them, which is inhumane.

How To Treat Grape Poisoning In French Bulldogs?

Immediately induce vomiting and take them to the vet. Your vet may prescribe drugs that maintain renal blood flow and control blood pressure.